Each Year, one top student in the Bergeron Entrepreneurs in Science and Technology (B.E.S.T.) program will be identified and awarded the Bergeron Medal for their academic achievement in the B.E.S.T. program. This unique interdisciplinary program in entrepreneurship and new ventures will provide and teach real world business experience to aspiring student-entrepreneurs. A special notation will appear on the selected recipient’s transcript. This year, the Bergeron Medal has been awarded to Mitchell Palmer.
Here are his achievements and highlights:
- Taking EWB-Technion Course in Israel and getting an A+ (98%)
- Completing the BEST Certificate in Technology Entrepreneurship offered by BEST Program, bringing my Geomatics engineering degree to 171 credits in 5 years.
- First place in ENTR4500 final pitch
- Attending the hackathon including Hack Lassonde and creating a working app similar to an advanced version of Google maps in 24 hours, from scratch (didn’t focus on the hackathon theme, so we didn’t place)
- Attended the national Geomatics competition in Calgary in 2019 and developed a working solution within 5 hour timeframe
- Completed paid internships in Geomatics engineering, project management, and software development, throughout the summers.
- Worked part time through last two years, during the school year, while taking 6-7 courses per semester and maintaining a social life / long term relationship and my grades.
- 7.3 GPA over final two years qualifying for masters studies and 7.73 GPA in final year, making it onto Deans list.
- Competed a paid research position for professor Baoxin Hu in artificial intelligence and remote sensing in my last year of studies, developing a functioning application and writing a research paper.
- Finished capstone project with an A, developing a functioning machine learning application for identifying hydro poles and other road assets.